ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Volgo
New MemberPosts: 3
Like?
Newbie - help with camera choice please
Feb 28, 2012

Hi,

My old FujiFilm camera is about 7 years old and help together by tape. Looking at the reviews on this site, the choice of a replacement camera is bewildering so I need some advice.

As a plain point and shoot user (currently) I'm not even sure of the specs I need. I would hope that one day (sooner rather than later) I will do a camera course and learn how to use manual functions. (Advice accepted on which course I should do - location Parramatta/Hills area). I wouldn't rule out a DSLR if that is what would meet my needs the best.

• Camera use is mainly family-related events, both inside and outside - home, school, church, picnics, dance concerts, sport, presentation nights, etc. so I need a decent camera that can handle lots of indoor events where I might be nowhere near the subject of the shot. I guess a decent flash would also help with that.

• I'm also involved with wildlife rescue so a camera that I can use for wildlife shots is also an advantage (I guess some macro functionality as well as a decent zoom).

• I'm not getting any younger so something that eliminates camera shake would be great.

• I love getting the perfect shot (as do we all) so perhaps getting multiple shots per second would be good for that. I would also like to learn how to use bracketing for exposure, etc.

• One thing I don't like is the response time of my current camera. By the time the camera responds to me pushing the button I've often missed my shot.

• I bought a Nikon SLR (not digital) with lens kit in 2003 but only used it for a few years before digital took over. Would it be worth my while to go for a camera that could use those lens or should I put the whole kit on eBay?

• As someone who enjoys playing around with photo editing I don't really need fancy photo editing functions on the camera itself.

• all important budget: probably between $600 to $1000 (all up) but if there was a compelling reason to go a little higher then would consider that.

I guess almost any camera on the market would meet my needs in comparison to my current camera, but that's why it is so confusing to choose. Please help!

Thanks!

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow