iMac or Mac Mini for photography + existing Powerbook?

Started Feb 27, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
motion
Contributing MemberPosts: 693
Like?
iMac or Mac Mini for photography + existing Powerbook?
Feb 27, 2012

I'm trying to decide on which Mac to go for. Obviously a Mac Pro would be the best choice if money wasn't an issue, but for the time being it is. If/when I go pro and the money comes in I'll reconsider

Anyway, I seem to have two choices: an iMac + an additional color correct monitor (Eizo, NEC etc.) or a Mac Mini, keyboard, mouse and the abovementioned monitor. With the Mac Mini I will save around US$ 260 compared to the iMac. The Mini also takes up less room on the desk.

But then again with the iMac I get two monitors (could be useful, for say Photoshop with the tools on the iMac and the photo on the external monitor), a webcamera and a DVD drive (the current Mac Mini doesn't have one.

I currently have a 1.67GHz Powerbook G4, but I find it slow and more and more software can't run on it, such as Lightroom 3. But seeing how little these Power-PC machines go for these days it probably isn't worth considering selling, so I might as well keep it for tethered location shots, showing clients photos or other situations where I need a laptop. If I could only find a way to sync/make compatible Lightroom 2 libraries with the new computer (iMac or Mac Mini) running Lightroom 3.

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow