Started Feb 27, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Paul Szilard
Contributing MemberPosts: 766Gear list
Like?
D700 => D4 or D3s?
Feb 27, 2012

First of all, just a reminder, that 2 months ago the D3s still rained supreme, and many people, including myself, had no problems with 12Mpixel images.

Ok, I have a D700 and want to upgrade, to get speed and ISO improvements. I am NOT interested in DSLR video, as I have a dedicated camcorder for that. Finances are being stretched to reach the D4, but just do-able.

Most people who had pre-production D4 to test, indicate that the improvements over the D3s are comparably small; video, 1 extra stop ISO, face tracking, LAN connection, html5 server, xqd card, illuminated buttons.

In contrast the D800 is a bigger technology jump from the D700, for less price increase. Too bad that for my needs the D800 is less desirable.

So my dilemma is, should I consider a good D3s at half the price of the new D4, or is the D4 better investment in the long run?

My shooting is pro-sumer, with events, weddings, sports, landscape, macro. My delivery is mainly coffee table books, web, and prints up to 24" max (long side).
--
paul szilard
http://photos.remektek.com.au

Paul Szilard's gear list:Paul Szilard's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Nikon D4 Fujifilm X-Pro1
Nikon D3S Nikon D4 Nikon D700 Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow