ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
StNickZA
New MemberPosts: 13
Like?
Yet another 7D / 50mm thread, I apologise up-front
Feb 27, 2012

Hey,

I recently bought a 50mm f/1.4 for my 7D, and truth be told, I have NEVER been satisfied with the results. I'm about ready to throw it out the window, perhaps along with my camera.

What is the deal with this lens on the 7D? There are so many complaints about this combo online, and it seems like so many people have problems getting results from it. Is this the result of an old lens design on a cropped frame body?

I've tried MFA multiple times, but it seems that under differing light conditions, the required MFA varies wildly. For example, I spent about an hour today walking aroung the house snapping photos and trying out various settings in the afternoon sunlight. Eventually, I found that a setting of +20 (yes, the MAX) yielded the best results. I took about 50 consecutive shots in-focus, and packed it in, thinking I'd finally cracked this mystery. However, tonight I decided to test once more. Aiming the camera at a moira pattern on my monitor, believe it or not, the best MFA setting was -6. How on earth can this be? What's worse is that the autofocus system seems to yield different results every time I half-press the shutter. Even once I had it focussing correctly on the moire pattern, the autofocus was at best accurate 6 out of 10 times. How can I rely on this lens / body combination if it is so wildly erratic?!

At this point, I started doubting the camera body itself and tried the same moire pattern with my 15-85mm. To my relief (somewhat), the camera focused 100% every time without any need for MFA, so I'm quite confident that it is either a faulty lens, or there is something seriously wrong with the 50mm / 7D combination.

ANY advice would be greatly appreciated please. Should I send this lens for repair? Should I sell it and get the Sigma 50mm instead?

Canon EOS 7D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow