Started Feb 27, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
XK Masada
New MemberPosts: 12
Like?
Why don't pre-F5 bodies support VR?
Feb 27, 2012

From everything I've read, VR works by moving the lens elements within the lens body in tune with the frequency and direction of the movement of the lens before and during the stopping down of the aperture and the opening of the shutter. VR is a function of the lens, not the body.

So why doesn't VR work for ALL Nikon bodies? VR doesn't work on my FA or my F4, but works for the F5 and all digital bodies. So what is it about the post-F4 bodies that "activates" the VR functionality in the lenses?

The only clue I can figure out is that the Nikkor lenses of the 1990s started getting CPU-contacts (a.k.a., "chips") that communicated aperture, distance, and other information to the body. But if VR is a function of the lens, then it doesn't appear as if anything would need to be communicated to the body to get it to work, right? Or wrong?

Panasonic Lumix DMC-F5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow