ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
AdamT
Forum ProPosts: 56,682Gear list
Like?
G1X arrived
Feb 27, 2012

G1X just arrived an hour or so ago . Quick 1st Impressions

IN RAW AND DPP - Lens looks good, no decentering at F2.8, not quite as sharp at the edges as at the middle but its more a contrast drop than sharpness (as good as the X100 anyway) and some of that could be DPP's hidden Distortion algorithm, the S90 is always better in unsupported converters where the slightly dreamy edges go , the G10-12 don't need it as they're not badly distorted . stop the G1X down at all and it's gone , long end at garden range is sharp edge to edge wideopen Across the frame (Phew) .. DPP adds hidden NR even at Zero like it does with the DSLRs (and doesn't with the G10 for some reason), looking forward to Adobe's DNG support.

JPG enigne is so comically vastly oversharpened, you could Cringe - otherwise the JPG engine looks fine across the whole ISO range ..I'm still weed off that it doesn't take G10 batteries or even the G10 charger (I filed the nubbles in the G10 charger so both batteries would fit and it doesn't charge the NB-10L (charge light on for a while then goes out) . Damn

Cam itself looks like and performs like a big G10 regarding menu diving, AF, shot to shot etc (faster than the G11 and S90) - here's a size comparison .. Obviously the G10 is slimmer than the G1X than a G11/12 would be and its got the same size LCD as the G1X instead of the small one in the G11/12.... the G1X is less of a size increase than I expected ......

14.1Mp NEX5 + 16mm ..... 14.7Mp G10... 14.1Mp G1X ..

-- hide signature --

A Problem is only the pessimistic way of looking at a challenge

AdamT's gear list:AdamT's gear list
Sigma DP1 Canon PowerShot G1 X Nikon Coolpix P330 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1
Canon PowerShot G11 Canon PowerShot S90 Fujifilm FinePix X100 Sony Alpha NEX-5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow