Zoom Lenses Not Necessary with D800 ?

Started Feb 27, 2012 | Discussions thread
AgentHEX
Contributing MemberPosts: 676
Like?
Re: Zoom Lenses Not Necessary with D800 ?
In reply to vincent__l, Feb 27, 2012

vincent_ l wrote:

Saying high res allows cropping possibilities is indeed more accurate. I'm also well aware that the 1.2x and 1.5x modes aren't strictly necessary as you can crop in post to anything you want. You are also correct that cropping is not technically the same as having 6 different prime lenses as that would allow all pictures to have the full 36mp resolution. However, if you assume that you will downsize every picture to 15mp, regardless of which crop mode you used, then effectively you are getting 6 different prime lenses.

The picture quality and iso sensitivity also won't be the same, and the viewfinder is just cropped, too, ie like a cropping aid.

I mean, I totally get what you're saying and it's an interesting idea, but you're in effect getting a dx result from a fx camera, which is fine but let's be clear.

There are also advantages to using the crop modes vs just cropping everything in post. I like to do as much in the camera as possible and by using the crop modes I can get the correct composition, using the viewfinder guides, for a 1.5x and 1.2x crop. Also, by cropping in the camera, I'm significantly reducing the 70MB file size by not saving data that I plan to throw away in post.

People may wonder what's the point of buying a 36mp DSLR if I plan to downsize everything to 15mp ? The point is that I shoot a variety of subjects. There are times when I would be using the full 36mp resolution. For this there is no shortcut on having the right lens. Other times when I only need 15mp it's nice to get an effective 6 prime lenses using only 2.

AgentHEX wrote:

Crop mode is just that: it cuts out the center of the photo. It's not the same thing as 4/6 lens at all.

It would be more accurate to say that more res equals more cropping possibilities, so you can get away with wider lenses for more flexibility.

vincent_ l wrote:

I've been thinking about the new possibilities with the D800's 1.2x and 1.5x crop modes. I usually use a 24-70mm f/2.8 and 70-200mm f/2.8 but really only use specific focal lengths within the zoom range. I'm starting to consider the possibility of replacing the two heavy zooms with just two light and fast primes, the 24mm f/1.4 and 85mm f/1.4.

With the crop modes the 24mm will give me 24mm, 28.8mm, and 36mm. These are very close to the 24mm, 28mm, and 35mm focal lengths that I use. With the 85mm lens I will have 85mm, 102mm, and 127.5mm. This is close to the very useful 85mm, 105mm, and 135mm that I use. The ability to have 6 useful focal lengths with just 2 light and fast primes seems very useful. Even with the 1.5x crop mode I would still have 18MP which is more than enough.

Has anyone else thought about ditching zooms for primes with the D800 ?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow