Canon 600d +15-85mm vs 60D + 17-85mm. Which should I buy?

Started Feb 17, 2012 | Discussions thread
Jerry-astro
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,976Gear list
Like?
Depends on your strength and inclination...
In reply to chiane, Feb 27, 2012

chiane wrote:

Isn't the 60D with the 15-85mm a real load as a walk around kit? It's seems to be a two hander to me. Both the body and the lens seem like they'd wear you out after a bit. Thoughts?

It all depends on what you're comfortable handling. I routinely carry around a 7D with a 17-55 as a walk around kit, and have no issues with the weight or bulk. That's a fair amount heavier (about .5 lb.) than a 60D/15-85 kit. And, I'm not a large or particularly strong guy. Lugging around a DSLR with a decent lens does take some getting used to, and it depends on your own ability and inclination to carry a fairly bulky kit around. Pairing the 15-85 with a T3i, for example, would only save you about 5 oz. in weight over a 60D. Noticeable, but not a huge difference. You'd need to go with a very light (and lower quality) kit lens to save much more weight.

The weight issue is what kept me away from SLRs for a long time, but ultimately after getting back to one with a 10D many years back, I find you really do get used to it. Smaller cameras almost feel toy-like now.

Jerry-astro's gear list:Jerry-astro's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Fujifilm X-T1 Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow