Started Feb 27, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
rolleiman
Contributing MemberPosts: 670Gear list
Like?
Sensor clean again.
Feb 27, 2012

I was about to disassemble my ZR1 to clean the sensor - I had a fuzzy corner that turned out to be a 'something' on the sensor - but thought I'd try another tack first. I opened the battery door and put a vacuum cleaner nozzle over the compartment and zoomed the lens in and out a few times. I figured this might aid some airflow getting through the lens area, which doesn't seem too rigorously sealed.

It's clean now. I'd be dubious about applying major amounts of suction to the guts by sealing the vacuum nozzle to the cam and probably eviscerating it, but just placing the open door on the nozzle seemed to work. Well, this time, anyway.

If you don't already know, taking a shot of a white wall will show up any significant 'strangers' on the sensor. And this method of cleaning could be done on the road if you get back to the hotel and find you've picked up some crud. It's a good idea to check from time to time so that you don't get six hundred shots of your safari with a football in the sky that you don't notice until you get home.

rolleiman's gear list:rolleiman's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZR1 Sony SLT-A33 Olympus PEN E-PM1 Sony SLT-A57
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZR1 (Lumix DMC-ZX1)
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow