Started Feb 26, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Stilograph
Regular MemberPosts: 280
Like?
Help me out guys
Feb 26, 2012

Seriously. Here is your chance to make an impact, I'm in a bind.

So suppose you have about 1000 euros to spend for gear, and what you need is 1500 worth. However, a certain deadline is REALLY closing in, and you have to decide between two things.

One is a videogig where you need at least an f2.8 lens with a zoom. The ideal here is 24-70 which i could get with 700 euros (used).

Another is an event, where for the first time I need a nice macro and studio flashes. These cost about the same. There is an Elinchrome 200/400 set with umbrellas and other utilities on sale, and my local camera store has a bargain for Canon 100 2.8L. Together they cost about 1000 euros.

My question is, which one would you take, and which has better future considering the business side of things, ie. which would produce more photographic opportunities in the future? Video is nice, but then it's a rare occasion for me, I do it about 4 times a year.

Then, 24-70 has at least some macro capabitiles. Should i pound away with that and 430 EX II flash? Is there a compromise to do both things? Am I overlooking something?

Right now i use 5D2, 17-40L, 85 f1.4, 70-200 2.8L. I've been holding back the 24-70 purchase beacause I could always cope with 17-40 and 70-200. Now these just won't work.

I am leaning towards 24-70. I used it a few times and it is really stellar performer. I will not be getting the mark II version, the price is just insane. No way. Mark I is fine for me.

But then, a studiolight would be nice. And macro. Sigh... Any suggestions? I've been thinking this for a week and I just can't reach a conclusion.

Sadly rental is out of the question, there is no one renting nothing anywhere near me. Except movies.

Option 3 is take a vacation and forget the whole thing.

Canon EOS 5D Mark II
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow