Started Feb 25, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Tom Caldwell
Forum ProPosts: 18,583
Like?
Mea Culpa
Feb 25, 2012

I must apologise to those who have bought "screen protectors" in the past, I have never seen the real need of them. I have had many cameras and rarely have they ever had more than the very odd surface scratch. I have had Canon EOS dslr bodies for years and never noticed any problems with their lcd screens whatsoever. I did see an early Nikon dslr with an lcd almost opaque with scratches and thought that Canon must have made a more resistant covering. Even my Ricoh R4, now many years old, much used and loved has its lcd in good condition, as is my GRD GRDIII and GX100.

I do not abuse my gear but I also do not particularly cosset my gear, they are just a collection of sensitive but practical working tools to me and are treated as such.

However my admitted now heavily used GXR body has developed a criss-cross surface hatching that almost appears like the surface coating is breaking down rather than it being scratches per se. More a general crazing over the surface. I am starting to find it increasingly annoying and also do not really understand what this will eventually lead to.

Does anyone else have a similar problem?

I have occasionally seen people with fold out three sided hoods on other compact cameras. I am not sure if these are oem or after market - the last one I saw was on an Olympus compact, I should have made enquiries.

Such a hard-sided cover would protect the lcd when not in use and when extended would provide a good measure of bright light shading that would make the use of the lcd much easier in brilliant sunlight. Presumably such a cover could be glued in place with double sided tape with the problem that some of the button labels are going to be covered.

Has anyone tried such an lcd cover on a Ricoh camera back?

However as my lcd seems to be more a breakdown of the surface coating rather than "scratches" the cover might only be useful as a light shade.

-- hide signature --

Tom Caldwell

Ricoh Caplio GX100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow