Started Feb 25, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Darlene Goff
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,596Gear list
Like?
Lightroom 3 questions
Feb 25, 2012

I just bought Lightroom 3 and I also have PS 7. I bought a book on it to help me along and I have tried reading as many threads here as possible. I love the tools and adjustments it comes with. They are worth the price to me, but I would like to be able to just bring a photo into LR and open it, adjust it, and have it not part of some LR database. In other words, I want to be be able to use LR as I use PS 7. I don't use LR for bringing my photos onto my hard drive. I don't want them associated with LR. I have my own system of cataloguing photos that works well for me. All I have found to do is import a folder of photos, check the ones I want to import to work on, set a destination folder as it has to have one, and then when I am through, I export the file as a PSD to my Photoshop. I prefer some tools and some techniques the way PS does them. Then when I am through with the photo in PS, I Save As a jpeg and give it a new name and send it to the folder of my choice. Then I have to go into LR, remove all the photos from it, go into Explorer, delete any LR connection because it clutters up my hard drive with useless LR junk files. This takes me about three times as long, but still there are times when the tools themselves really do come in handy. That part of LR is excellent.

Is there any way to just disassociate completely the photo database of LR from the various tools and adjustments it offers? There is no way I can find to even save a file in LR. I find the database clunky, unintuitive, and confusing. And time consuming. And very typical of Adobe, overpriced, overhyped, and invasive.

Thanks for any help. It is not a matter of learning to use the database; I do not like it or want to use it for my photos.

Darlene Goff's gear list:Darlene Goff's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P5000 Nikon Coolpix 8800 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ35 Nikon Coolpix P7100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 +7 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow