Nikon 60mm Macro vs Sony 30mm Macro for slide digitizing.

Started Feb 25, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
filmrescue
Contributing MemberPosts: 633
Like?
Nikon 60mm Macro vs Sony 30mm Macro for slide digitizing.
Feb 25, 2012

I'm considering buying the sony 30mm macro lens for this function. My thinking is, with the camera itself being able to do a lot of lens corrections as you shoot I might be better off with the slightly less sharp sony lens for this. At least the reviews I've read say it has some sharpness problems. Is it really that bad or will unsharp masking deal with it?

To answer the question for those that are wondering why I would approach digitizing slides in this manner - My parents have a few thousands slides so being able to get through them quickly is important but beyond that, These are Kodachrome slides and I'm getting more pleasing results using the NEXes HDR function set at about 3 stops than I'm able to get with my Epson 750. While unconventional it seems to be a win win situation. I get speed and detail in the shadows and highlights that are lost in the scanner.

Anyway...curious of people's thoughts not only on the lens but also the approach to digitizing Kodachrome slides.

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow