How Many People Really Switch Camera Systems?!?

Started Feb 25, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Emeka U
Senior MemberPosts: 2,879Gear list
Like?
How Many People Really Switch Camera Systems?!?
Feb 25, 2012

Good day all...I don't post very much any more, but I've lurking on these forums a bit more during the last few weeks because of the D800. The one thing that seems to irk me a bit is the number of people claiming that they would rather switch systems than purchase the D800 due to it's high MP count. Or in some cases forum members suggesting that people will do this if Nikon doesn't offer a D4 Sensor in a D800 body.

So my question is just as the title states, how many people really do this, or seriously consider doing it? I'm not the richest guy in the world but I do make a very good living, and I can't see myself 'affording' to switch systems just because another brand of camera body fits my current need better than the available offerings from Nikon. Couldn't imagine switching all lenses and accessories and learning a new system, only to possibly do the same thing again in 3 years time. Perhaps some pros would do that, but seriously can't see them doing it either. Doesn't make great business sense (unless they're strictly leasing equipment). And didn't mama teach us to invest in lenses, not bodies!

I plan on purchasing the D800 next year. I'm delaying purchase to allow me to add the 14-24 (replacing my 12-24 DX) and 24-70 lenses. I'm one of those who would be okay with fewer MPs since my shooting doesn't demand 36 (my gallery is proof of that :P), so if Nikon adds a lower MP FF cam in D800 format before purchase time it'll probably be my choice. Otherwise I'll be more than happy with the D800 in its current incarnation.

Educate me please!!

-- hide signature --

I likes shootin' things with them new-fangled picture-takin' devices!
VISIT OFTEN: http://emeka.smugmug.com (comments welcomed)

Emeka U's gear list:Emeka U's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Nikon D70 Nikon D300 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF +8 more
Nikon D4 Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow