Once Again, Why Jump Ship?

Started Feb 23, 2012 | Discussions thread
Ben_Egbert
Forum ProPosts: 20,228Gear list
Like?
Re: The effect of the 1DX and D800 announcements
In reply to A Owens, Feb 25, 2012

My comments with regard to the NEX was to say that maybe all I need is a simple camera. I used the Nex as a term for that.

But they are not a simple camera - more sophistocated than your 1ds in some ways. And I find them very fiddly to use but I have not used the 7. Onec familiar the 1ds is a simple comfortable old thing despite the weight.

How about a Canon Powershot G1X? I am remembering my Nikon990 and how good it was at web size. The only real issue it had was lenses. This is what I would have problems with in regards to a non DSLR camera especially a 14mm in FF equivalent, the one lens I am now missing and wish I had.

You need to remember that I don't want ISO above 800 (seldom use 400 for landscapes), or burst or video or even AF so long as it has a decent live view.

But I do need decent lenses.

If I am not printing, I don't need over 12 mpixels.

Mostly I am in awe of the files produced by the 1dsII and I am sure the III represents a material improvement on those. I am not convinced that an A1 print from the D800 will be much if any better than an A1 print from your 1dsIII.

But what about the guilt of having this camera and not being able to get the value from it? Using a 1DS-mk3 to post to the web is like driving to the store in a Ferrari. It can be done, but it is horribly extravagant.

Hans lives on another continent or I would.

I am aware of that, but there are probably good flight deals to be had which are far cheaper than ponying up for the latest equipment. That was my point.

Nah, I never get on an airplane, If I can't reach my destination in my pickup and need a passport, I am not going.

And one final thought, if you only print for yourself - stop it. Waste of time and money. Just produce for the web and post only your best stuff onto 500px. Figure out what other people on that site like and use it as an outlet and a source of 'virtual customers' and get beyond the current limits of what you consider good. After a while by all means come back to printing but print smaller sizes of really good work on beautiful papers for presentation in folio boxes. For this you have all the equipment you will ever need.

I think you are worrying unecessarily about this. Most monitors are actually pretty good these days. Especially those belonging to folk looking on the likes of 500px. Once 4k monitors become common (and they will), printing will become far less relevant. And then there will be 8k of course.

Is 500px a web site? I am looking for some place to get decent critique. I really hate showing downsized images for it however. A fuill rez image may be great but when the tiny well detailed flowers are reduced to 5 or 6 pixels people wonder why you included them in the image.

Even the process of shooting for the web means you need to consider the way the low res version will look. You need to dumb down the composition so that it works on the dumbed down web.

-- hide signature --

What I need most is to improve the content of my images. But I like my content and have not been able to figure out what people would prefer.

http://ben-egbert.smugmug.com/

Ben

-- hide signature --

What I need most is to improve the content of my images. But I like my content and have not been able to figure out what people would prefer.

http://ben-egbert.smugmug.com/

Ben

Ben_Egbert's gear list:Ben_Egbert's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L Samyang 14mm F2.8 IF ED MC Aspherical +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
MehNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow