Started Feb 25, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Phil Wareham
New MemberPosts: 11
Like?
Advice on camera choice, please.
Feb 25, 2012

Hi! I'm looking at getting back into photography (I had two film SLRs with kit lenses in the past) and want to find a way to make prime lenses affordable (I don't have a fixed budget, but probably won't be spending a ton of time on this hobby so don't want to waste cash). I'll be shooting mostly at normal focal length, and some portrait shots. The brands seem to offer fairly similar qualities of camera in aps-c and if cash is tight I think it makes sense to choose a camera based on lense availability. I know this sort of thing has come up before, but I've read a lot and am going round in circles. Does anyone have any advice? I've shoved in below what I've found so far.

Canon: 50mm 1.8 would be an excellent intro to prime photography, but 28-35mm options from canon are limited/expensive. I could buy an old fd 28mm 2.8 lense, or something weird with a converter, but this feels odd for what I want to be my main lense. Plenty of used canon stuff out there. This is my favoured option at the moment.

Nikon: The 35mm f/1.8G AF-S DX is a good choice, and I could add the 50mm 1.8 later, but 28mm and 50mm would give more variety.

Sony: 30mm 2.8 macro is a possibility and I like macro, but it's not amazingly fast.

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow