G1X at Pop Photo.com

Started Feb 22, 2012 | Discussions thread
joharis
Regular MemberPosts: 419Gear list
Like?
Re: G1X and macro
In reply to Nudibranco, Feb 25, 2012

Nudibranco wrote:

You can certainly focus closer than 20cm on 4/3 and M4/3 land as well as other APS cameras that have the ability to change lenses (all the way down to the lens surface for that matter). However in a compact kit lens similar G1X there are less choices.

I doubt this, please show me the 4/3, M4/3 or APSC lens that can focus down to the lens surface. I could not find one.

The real problem with this camera is that it seems to have the minimum focus distance for the larger focal length at 80cm or so while most kit lenses on M43 keep the distance quite close and hence have better magnification.

I am curious where you find these specs, I only found the minimum focus distance at wide angle, never at the tele end.>

The G1X seem indeed to have an Achille's heel in the MACRO area. It cannot change lenses and its maximum magnification seems small (even with addon lenses).

Not only for the G1X but for all cameras with bigger sensors, it's just a matter of physics. You can only solve this with special macro lenses.

I am waiting to see some practical and real worls reports on this.

joharis's gear list:joharis's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow