Canon gear stolen...considering NEX-7

Started Feb 24, 2012 | Discussions thread
hakan_wikstrom
Regular MemberPosts: 272
Like?
One doesn't rule out the other
In reply to Soco45, Feb 25, 2012

I have only had my NEX-5n for a few weeks, but already I can see a pattern emerging: I am leaving my 7D and big lenses at home and bring the NEX-5n instead.

For me - and I imagine a lot of others - the biggest issue with the NEX series is the autofocus. I don't find my NEX anywhere near my 7D when it comes to autofocus. I don't think I'd be happy with a Sony 70-200 fitted using Sony's adapter. So I'll be keeping my 7D with 85mm f/1.8 and 70-200 MkII for sports.

In most other cases - available light portrait photography and landscape using old manual focus legacy lenses - the NEX simply shines. The sensor is great. I find I get at least as good image quality with my NEX-5n as with my 7D. When doing studio portraits (something I do at work sometimes) the 7D gets used simply because it attaches to the Elinchrom strobes, not because of optical superiority.

But the most important thing to me is size and "pocketability". I just put the NEX in my pocket (usually with the SEL16F28 or old Minolta 50mm lenses) whenever I leave the house. I get shots that I previously couldn't get simply because I always have a camera. So the NEX doesn't rule out the Canon for me.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow