The perfect digital point and shoot camera

Started Feb 23, 2012 | Discussions thread
Mk7
Mk7
Senior MemberPosts: 1,118
Like?
Re: The perfect digital point and shoot camera
In reply to meland, Feb 25, 2012

Yes it's intentional. Not only do they carefully cripple each cam, thus keeping it from being perfect, thus keeping you buying, - the various manufacturers also collude to make sure that one gives you this but not that, and the other gives you that but not this, and another gives you this and that, but it's too big, etc. True story.

I love this theory. Manufacturer A 'carefully cripples each cam, thus keeping it from being perfect, thus keeping you buying'. Then what happens? Manufacturer B thinks 'aha, there's a gap I can fill!'

Except they never "completely" fill it, and your quest for the perfect cam continues endlessly, in vain.

In the world of point and shoot, cost is a major constraint. At least if you want to sell a lot of them.

Or you could price it twice as much as other point and shoots, say, $800. Then you can sell far fewer and still make the same level of profit.

And as for 'the various manufacturers also collude to make sure that one gives you this but not that'. Well here's a question - how do you think Canon / Nikon / Sony / Panasonic / Olympus / Pentax etc. / etc. go about the process of agreeing amongst themselves, or as you put it 'collude' to decide who has what feature?

They pull straws. I kid you not.

Besides, it’s all “friendly” competition for them. They’re all working for Japan, Inc. first and foremost. Well, except Pentax, who’s gone rogue and colluded with upstart Korean Samsung. Anyway, that’s why Sony is happy to sell sensors to all its competitors, instead of just cutting them off and dominating.

At the end of the day, they are competing against the West, against the likes of Kodak, Argus, Polaroid, Rollei, Agfa, etc. They’ve done quite a thorough job, don’t you think?

Currently, I have the S90, SX230HS, FZ150, and a G9. At least one camera in that group meets every photographic need that important to me.

Currently, I hope you have four pockets.
Currently our trade deficit with Japan is... oops, better not go there.

I could sit here and explain all the business, international trade, economics and product engineering details that are at work here, but there will always be those who are conditioned by the system, and dismiss it all as conspiracy theories, even if I'm just joking, which I halfway am, half the time, but not really. So forget about "perfect", and just get the best cam or cams for you, and go take some photos and have fun.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow