Started Feb 25, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
InnerDemon
Contributing MemberPosts: 647Gear list
Like?
D400 - DX & FX Camera Lineup
Feb 25, 2012

Some musings by Thom Hogan on the topic of the D400 and other potential DX/FX cameras. The sentiment for the D400 being the new entry level FX camera seems to be growing a bit based on a number of sites I have visited. Previously, it was nearly a universal opinion that the D400 would be DX. Now some say, "We are pretty sure, but..."

What seems to make the most sense to me is two D400s - one for DX and one for FX, with the DX being 20-24MP and the FX being 16-20MP, with identical bodies, speed, AF-S, buffer, etc.The D300 and D700 were pretty close in size and other key criteria, apart from the DX/FX sensor. With a bit more design consideration, Nikon may be able to use the same chassis and many common parts between the FX and DX D400 lines, thereby saving a bit on parts costs as well as having more commonality/flexibility between manufacturing facilities.

They might even base the new models on the D800 body, and not have to introduce another body design into the mix. Why have 3 different bodies that just vary slightly in insignificant ways? Would any D300 user really have complained if it the same body as the D7000? I wouldn't have.

A D400 FX at $2,999 and a D400 DX at $1,999, and I think Nikon would have hit the nail on the head for both entry level FX and high end DX customers that want some meaningful improvements to their current models. Given that the D5100 and D3100 are the top of their respective classes, it would seem to make good sense that the D400 DX/FX cameras should be at the top of Nikon's priorities.

Thoughts?

http://www.bythom.com/

-- hide signature --
Nikon D300 Nikon D3100 Nikon D40 Nikon D5100 Nikon D700 Nikon D7000 Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow