How is everyone doing their AF Micro Adjustment?

Started Feb 25, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
reflected_light
Regular MemberPosts: 416
Like?
How is everyone doing their AF Micro Adjustment?
Feb 25, 2012

I decided it was time to fine tune the AF for my lens now that I've had the camera for just over a week now and am hoping to get alot of shooting in this weekend.

I "attempted" to use the method recommend in Gary's ebook, but am getting a bit frustrated. I have the Sony 16-50 and Tamron 70-300, 18-270 and 17-50. So far I've tried his method with all but the Tammy 17-50 and, based on Gary's approach, all seem to be dead on with no adjustment. And I don't believe all three can be that good. None look exactly like his pic that indicates it's correct, with more in-focus both behind and in front of the center line. It just doesn't seem precise enough. At least not for me. If I'm going to do this, they need to be as exact as possible. Otherwise, why bother. Depth of field seems to be too great to determine if the center line is the EXACT focus point.

Has anyone used the moire pattern (and if so, have you really had the lens 50 times the focal length - 15 meters for my 70-300)? My condo doesn't allow for that distance.

Another thing...Sony says not to make adjustments for other brands of lens because if you do you will mess up the values for the "registered" lens, ie my 16-50. But it says + -0. So is it perfect? Seems like a ploy by Sony to keep people from either buying other brands or using this feature. And if that's true, the feature is basically useless, IMHO.

I want precision and the best image quality I can get. Otherwise, I'd just pull out my Oly SZ-10 and be done with it.

Olympus SZ-10
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow