4/3 Lenses on M43

Started Feb 25, 2012 | Discussions thread
Jeremy_T
Senior MemberPosts: 1,224Gear list
Like?
Re: 4/3 Lenses on M43
In reply to jpzundel, Feb 25, 2012

jpzundel wrote:

I must be overlooking something when I think that 43 lenses should work no worse on an M43 body like the OM-D than they worked on a 43 body.

I.e they may not work as fast on the OM-D as the newer lenses optimized for the OM-D such as the 12-50mm, but I see no reason they should focus worse than they did on a 43 body like a 510 or a 620.

Correct?

They work no worse than the lenses don on a Four Thirds body in live view mode . The E-P1, for example, is basically an E620 stuck in live view mode all the time.

If you have an E620, you know that this is... suboptimal.

There are a handful of Oly 4/3 lenses that were "optimized for live view" at the time of release. These include probably most usefully the 14-54mm f/2.8-3.5 mk ii and the Oly 70-300mm in addition to a couple of others. These lenses do "OK" on current M4/3 bodies, but they're still not as fast as PDAF on a DSLR.

Everything not CDAF enabled - especially SWD lenses - will be woefully slow.

Jeremy_T's gear list:Jeremy_T's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Panasonic 20mm F1.7 II
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow