Started Feb 24, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
a hit of meth
Forum MemberPosts: 53
Like?
E-pl3 to GF3, IQ comparison
Feb 24, 2012

I had an e-pl3 for about three weeks but there was a problem with little dots/hot pixels appearing randomly in my images across the iso range. The service center was unable to fix it or even give me a straight answer with one guy saying they were hot pixels and the other saying they were noise. Here is a link to my original problem with pics, it is not what I want to ask about or discuss here.

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1008&message=40557069

Having ruled out the Olympus range due to this issue, which I have also seen in the E-pl2, E-p2 and E-p3, my main option is the GF3. From my experience with the E-pl3 I realized that I don't need a hotshoe, I can live without the mode dial and I don't use video at all so it doesn't matter that it has a mono mic, what most people see as disadvantages with the GF3 don't matter to me.

The main thing for me is the image quality. Having used the E-pl3 for around three weeks I was impressed with the amount of detail in the enlargements as well as the usability of images taken with high ISO settings, with the Oly I readily used ISO settings between 800-1600 when in full auto mode, something I've never even tried on my DSLR's. The panasonic seems good as well but the images are extremely grainy past 400iso and lose detail in the enlargements. I've only seen a few examples so far and no other direct comparisons except from the ones on this site, helpful to a degree but those are just studio tests in a controlled environment.

Any info from gf3 users, anyone who has made a similar switch or any general info at all regarding the IQ of the GF3, especially in low light and with long exposures.

Olympus PEN E-P2 Olympus PEN E-P3 Olympus PEN E-PL2 Olympus PEN E-PL3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow