ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Orlandof
New MemberPosts: 3
Like?
New to DSLR. Need Lens advise.
Feb 24, 2012

Hello.

New member and first time poster here. I'll try to keep this as short as possible.

My brother is an owner of a few lenses and the 550D. He is contemplating on switching brands or going to micro 4/3 for whatever reason. Anyway, I am not a DSLR user. My mobile phone camera is enough for me. I don't even own a basic point and shoot camera. Since my brother is "moving on", he is pushing me to buy his equipment (at a brotherly price he said). I sometimes shoot for him specially when he wants to be in the picture. He says I take good shots with a lot of "keepers" (I guess this means most of my shots are useable?). This is the only reason why he is pushing me to buy his equipment. That I might enjoy having a DSLR and take pictures better than what a mobile phone camera can.

He has quite a number of lenses but I am interested in the ones that I have used:
the Sigma 17-50 f/2.8 OS
the Canon EF 24-70 f/2.8 L

I want to state this clearly, I know nothing about lenses. I do not even know how to operate his camera but he taught me so I can take shots. I take the shots, show him the LCD and when he is satisfied we move on. I really did not give a second look at the pictures. I just show them to my brother. Basically he tells me what to do and I do it. Whatever the shots look like, I did not care....but now I guess I should.

Here is my experience with these lenses.
Canon EF 24-70 f/2.8 L:
fast, focuses quickly, but really heavy

Sigma 17-50 f/2.8 OS
fast, focuses quickly, light

Again, I never cared about how the picture looked like after shooting. I did not care if it was blurred or fuzzy or anything, I just shoot.

I've read about these lenses and there are mixed comments about them. Here are some that I read:
Canon EF 24-70 f/2.8 L:
some say it is sharp
some say this lens is soft
Which is true about the Canon EF 24-70 f/2.8 L?
From your experience, is this lens sharp? or soft?

Sigma 17-50 f/2.8 OS
great picture quality all over

Some say choose the Canon lens because it will be compatible with any other Canon body later on.
Some say choose the Sigma lens because it is lighter and has OS.

I don't really understand any of these things yet.

I am beginner so I will just choose one from the above. I have shot with both and though the Canon EF 24-70 f/2.8 L is heavy, I don't mind the weight.

Aside from my questions above, I guess my biggest question is:
which lens give a better picture quality? (ultimately)

Thanks in advance for helping a beginner.

Canon EOS 550D (EOS Rebel T2i / EOS Kiss X4)
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow