Forum MemberPosts: 71
Like?
Re: What camera for best dynamic range.
In reply to papillon_65, Feb 23, 2012

papillon_65 wrote:

elefteriadis alexandros wrote:

papillon_65 wrote:

elefteriadis alexandros wrote:

-First hello to all, i watch the forum and dpreview for many years and a like yours opinion here, so i like to ask.

-I have for many years my fuji s3 to serve me and think to move on in a new camera with more pixels on it, but without to sacrifice dynamic range as i don't like those white holes in the sky..(make the pictures look fake and 'digital').I look here in dpreview test and dxo labs and the Nikon d7000 is the camera with 13,5 EV of dynamic range that can much the fuji as they claim, so i give a tray and test with one.

-Huhh, everything i tray from jpg to raw its not even close to fuji.. The different is about 2-3 stop lower in dynamic range.. i tray to open the NEF in diferent program but nothing, those holes of burning white is never recovery as fuji camera.

-Am i doing something wrong, what is my other options? Or i think to stay with small size picture from 6mpix of fuji, than big picture with blown highlight.

The D7000 or Pentax K-5 have the best APS-C sensors at the moment, if they are not good enough then you are looking at a Full frame camera, though some of those still won't be much better, if at all. Camera manufacturers are currently in the middle of a resolution race and dynamic range doesn't seem to be improving at the same rate. You'd probably be better of sticking with the Fuji and uprezzing if you need to print large sizes. Sometimes less is more.
--
It's a known fact that where there's tea there's hope.
Tony
http://the-random-photographer.blogspot.com/

-I think i stay with s3, i don't see something improved except pixels count.

If you enjoy your Fuji and don't see anything better than why change? Plenty of people still shoot with the Olympus E-1, which is 5mp maximum but also has great colour rendition and is considered a classic by many. These old cameras still take great pictures in the right conditions, they haven't got suddenly worse and sometimes they'll still produce nicer images than some newer models if you play to their strengths. In fact the silky images from the E-1 are not disimilar to the X100 at base ISO, more film like than many digital cameras. Keep shooting the Fuji safe in the knowledge you've just saved yourself some money :).
--
It's a known fact that where there's tea there's hope.
Tony
http://the-random-photographer.blogspot.com/

-Thank you Tony, you have right, i stay with my s3 at list until they die..

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow