First Concert - Pictures in the next post

Started Feb 21, 2012 | Discussions thread
Airelle
Regular MemberPosts: 215Gear list
Like?
Re: First Concert - Pictures
In reply to Darrell500, Feb 23, 2012

Darrell500 wrote:

Thank You for posting a followup thread. I enjoyed the photos, the Trumpet player and next to the last were my favorites.

Thanks and you're welcome

Did the 12-60 work out for you? I own a 12-60 but rented a 14-35 for a concert shoot to get the extra stop of light. Do you feel the 12-60 was adequate in a low light concert setting? For me f/2 and ISO 1600-2000 worked pretty well, with f2.8-f4 I would need to bump ISO to levels beyond what I'm comfortable with, any thoughts?

I had pretty much decided that I'd use the 12-60 at 12 only so that it's at f2.8. In addition, I set the e-520 to max at ISO800 (otherwise it gets really noisy and shows a lot of banding). In the end, even with an extra stop, I don't think the underexposed shots would have been better (they were 3-4 stops underexposed) and the ones I kept wouldn't have been significantly different I think (2mm less wide, and the 12-60's distortion ends up in the dark parts of the picture anyway, so they're hardly noticeable) while the lens would have been a bit bulkier (and would have cost me the rental fee on top of the 35-100's, too. Maybe if I was paid for it, but I was doing it for free, so all costs are for me ;))

My dream lens would be the 14-35 focusing like the 12-60 now that would be smokin hot.

The good thing when shooting 12mm is that there's almost no focusing to worry about since the dof is so large, as long as the subject is more than 3.5m away (vs 6.5m @14/2).

-- hide signature --

Have A Great Day!

Darrell

Airelle's gear list:Airelle's gear list
Olympus E-5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm 1:2.8-4.0 SWD Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 70-300mm 1:4.0-5.6 +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow