voigtlander 35mm f1.4 nokton on the NEX-5N

Started Feb 23, 2012 | Discussions thread
naftade
Regular MemberPosts: 269Gear list
Like?
Re: voigtlander 35mm f1.4 nokton on the NEX-5N
In reply to bitton79, Feb 23, 2012

Hi,

a month ago I was searching the net for a cheaper Alternative for the Carl Zeiss 24mm 1.8. I found the Voigtländer Ultron 28mm f2 and I was very pleased with it's mechanical quality and also its IQ. It was however a tad too long for my preferred way of street photography and at the same time it couldn't really defocus the background, so it was not a good portrait lens either. In the end I gave it back.

Under the impression of this lens I thought I could give the Nokton 35mm 1.4 MC a try. It was also a very nice lens and I especially liked it's very compact size. The IQ wide open, however, was not so very impressive. So again I gave it back.

Next thing I ordered was a Nokton 40mm 1.4 SC, and this thing really got me.

It is of course something completely different than the CZ 24mm f1.8 but I didn't have anything to take nice portraits with so I could use it anyway..

The Nokton 40mm 1.4 is cheaper than the 35mm 1.4 but has way better IQ. I mainly use it at f2 because the bokeh is nicer that way than wide open. At f2 Sharpness is quite good already but from f3.5 upwards it gets very very sharp. Distortion is also not a problem.

I took the SC version because I like the style of pictures it delivers right away out of the camera. I admit though, that it may limit your possibibilties in post procession.

You also might think twice before purchasing because the focal length puts it quite close to the SOny SEL 50 1.8.

For my part I'm very happy with the Nokton though and I don't know yet if get the SEL 50 1.8. I like the classic feel of the Nokton, the manual focussing works pretty good with the nex, the manual aperture setting is easy as well and in summary: this whole manual thing is a lot of fun.

naftade's gear list:naftade's gear list
Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow