Started Feb 23, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
rhtK7
Regular MemberPosts: 133
Like?
X-S1 Arrived today---Sample photos of light
Feb 23, 2012

My S-X1 arrived today, and I've been snapping away after charging the battery. I must say I love the feature set and build quality. I'm still reading the manual and trying to learn/try the benefits of EXR etc. I would say my biggest disappointment is the refresh rate of the EVF. I at first assumed is must be set to the lower value (I had read about that feature), but upon checking, I found it was indeed set to 50. My other camera is a Pentax K-5, which I just love. It's OVF is nice and bright, and obviously has an infinite refresh rate! Panning with the X-S1 is disturbing after being used to an OVF. But...other than that, so far I'm pleasantly supprised. I have a target in my back yard, about 50 feet from the house, and use that for testing lenses. As it was approaching dusk when I tried shooting it, and it was my first few pictures, I expect to do better. But even given that, my ability to crop and read fine print shows it to actually be better than my K-5 with a Pentax F*300 F4 prime lens, and also my Tokina 80-400mm zoom. OOC contrast, color, and sharpness actually looked better than shots with the Pentax and either telephoto lens.

And, given the obcession on this forum over orbs, I've taken a number of inside shots with varying lighting levels, with bare exposed bulbs in view. I'm 110% satisfied. Below are a shot taken with the fuji, and one taken with the K-5. Both are at ISO 800, but otherwise exposures are different. In both cases I let the cameras determine the exposure, with the exception that I did apply -2/3 compensation with the X-S1. I think both cameras handled the bulbs about the same. You can see the filament inside the clear glass bulb, with both cameras. Note that the date on the fuji pic is Jan 1, as I had not set the date yet.

I'm very happy, and look forward to playing more tomorrow!

Ron Till

Fujifilm X-S1 Pentax K-5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow