5D VS 7D: Noise Performance?

Started Feb 11, 2012 | Discussions thread
Jay Adeff
Senior MemberPosts: 1,276
Like?
5D2 looks better to me
In reply to Faintandfuzzy, Feb 22, 2012

I don't know, but to me the 5D2 100% crops definitely look better than the 7D 100% crops. I don't own either camera so I don't have a vested interest in the outcome.

Faintandfuzzy wrote:

filmluvr wrote:

I'd be interested in seeing ISO3200 images side by side (7D VS 5D), but they need to be cropped to about a 50% view. It also helps to have a subject that contains both fine detail (like the fur on a stuffed toy) and a solid area with a medium gray tone. Do you have a 5D or only the MKII?

The samples were from the 5D2 and 7D. Here is the non reduced, full pixel size of the files from both, that have been interpolated for output at 240 ppi on a 16x24. In other words, the file is now 5760 pixels wide, and print ready. A little bit of NR was done in Lightroom 3.6....nothing fancy here. The differences at 100% are more obvious....although still not that large. I could have spent a little more time on the 7D file to improve sharpness and noise, but I wanted it to be a quick job. Other dedicated NR software could do a bit better....but considering the differences are so tiny on even a 16x24, I'm never worried. If people are honest with themselves, it's pretty rare that anyone is blowing up 6400iso shots to 24x36! And the differences are so small here even pixel peeping, it doesn't matetr in the real world on print.

Canon 5D2 at 3200 iso (100% pixel view at 16x24, 240ppi)

Canon 7D at 3200 iso (100% pixel view at 16x24, 240ppi)

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
60DNew
LMAONew
FYINew
LOLNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow