A Very Subjective Evaluation of the SD1

Started Feb 21, 2012 | Discussions thread
larryj
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,712Gear list
Like?
Re: lowest reliable handheld shutter speed?
In reply to docmaas, Feb 22, 2012

Hi Mike: That is a pretty difficult question to answer in a few words. Motion blur is a function of the lens focal length and shutter speed combination and whether the lens has OS and whether the subject was in motion. When I have time I will mine the files I shot with the SD1 and see if I can find a consistent trend. This would be good information for me to have a handle on for future shooting. I know in one instance I took 2 shots back to back and one was tack sharp and the other on had significant motion blur (obviously operator error). In another case it was the OS being confused by the subject moving during the exposure leading to a lot of blur.

As far as other Sigma cameras: I had no or very little problem with motion blur with the SD9; The SD14/15 required me to be more careful to avoid motion blur, although I did not think it was a significant issue (I may have to re-evaluate that issue); Maybe, because I was looking for pixel level sharpness in the SD1, I did notice motion blur in about 30% of my shots. I would say, base on my limited sample, that the SD1 is more sensitive to motion blur then the SD14/15.
--
Cheers,
larryj

If you can see the light, you can photograph it
Quote from Myron Woods

larryj's gear list:larryj's gear list
Sigma SD1 Merrill Sigma 24-70mm F2.8 EX DG HSM Sigma 150-500mm F5-6.3 DG OS HSM Sigma 105mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM Sigma 18-35mm F1.8 DC HSM +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow