Testing out a 5D II for a few days. What should I look out for?

Started Feb 22, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Astound
Regular MemberPosts: 136Gear list
Like?
Testing out a 5D II for a few days. What should I look out for?
Feb 22, 2012

So, in an attempt to evaluate the potential advantage of moving to a FF from my current 60D (as discussed in my previous thread http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1032&message=40008131 ), I've decided to hire a 5D II with a 24-105L and 50mm 1.2L for a few days.

My reasons? I love shooting low light, mainly urban, but also some landscape, so wide angle is important. Also, I work in professional design, so I can't get enough megapixels. I also tend to print big (often A3 size). Also, given my graphics background, my strong point is post-processing. The downside of this, is the noise which can sometimes get introduced during PP, so the better the quality of image captured the higher quality the final results - 'garbage in garbage' out as we say.

As I said, I currently mainly use a 60D, which I combine with a 15-85 as well as a couple of 'cheaper' primes 50 1.8 and 35mm 2.

Anyway, I've a few ideas about what I might focus on. But I wondered if anyone has any suggestions as to how I might best take advantage of my few days with this camera and lenses. What 'tests' should I carry out to find any possble advantages of this type of camera over my current crop frame setup?

Thanks.

Astound's gear list:Astound's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7
Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 60D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow