Alternative to Einstein E640?

Started Feb 15, 2012 | Discussions thread
studio311
Contributing MemberPosts: 553
Like?
Re: Alternative to Einstein E640?
In reply to SR Works, Feb 22, 2012

SR Works wrote:

Though I haven't used them, you might want to look at the Elinchrom BxRi lights or the Elinchrom 600rx lights - they're more expensive than the Einsteins, but not by as much as say the Profotos. Perhaps someone here who has experience with both Elinchrom and Einstein could comment on the differences.

Stuart
--
http://www.stuartruckman.com

That would be me

I had 3 Einsteins. Moved to 1 Elinchrom Quadra and (2) BXRi500. Using Elinchrom wireless system.

I had many problems with the Cyber Commander system. Maybe I'm the anomaly. It was the primary reason I looked to switch. It let me down on several shoots, really made me look bad in front of clients. Maybe I should have simply gotten PW's and stuck with Einsteins. I also had problems with the speedring mounts with Westcott modifiers and Mola beauty dishes. I had to rubber band the units in place to have ANY confidence they wouldn't fall out! And yes, I had the latest version of "fingers"...at least as of Fall '11.

I do prefer the quality of light of Elinchrom, but I wouldn't say it's a "huge difference". Build quality is much better with Eli.

Yet, I think the Einstein's IGBT tech is the future. If I shot a lot of action, I would lean heavily toward the Einsteins. The Eli Quadra gives me 1/6000 flash duration though and in an incredibly small, portable, battery pack kit.

Would I be unhappy with Einsteins? definitely not, but I would buy a set PWIII's to fire them...then use the CyberCommander in conjunction to change the power settings Or go all out with a PW system of Flex, AC3, etc. $$$

Lastly...Paul Buff customer service is fantastic!

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow