Why does Nikon even bother making such large camera bodies?

Started Feb 22, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
DocS
Regular MemberPosts: 255
Like?
Why does Nikon even bother making such large camera bodies?
Feb 22, 2012

The reason I didn't get a D4 is because I don’t want such a large camera. Period. Simple as that. If I could magically lop off the bottom part of it and make it the same size as the D700 or D800, I’d buy it in a heartbeat.....and I’d be willing to pay $5000 for it.

I suspect that there are a lot of amateurs like myself who don’t buy certain professional cameras simply because of their size.

Yeah yeah yeah....I know I know. A professional photographer always needs the vertical grip, faster frame rate, and extra battery life.

But would it kill Nikon and Canon to stop making professional cameras with the integrated vertical grip? Why can’t they simply offer these professional cameras in one size that appeals to EVERYONE, and then offer packages with the vertical grip for the “professional” photographers who need the extra battery life and shooting speed?

It seems to me that Nikon and Canon are really acing themselves out of a lot of potential pro camera sales because the sheer size of these cameras turns a lot of people off.

Anyone care to comment?

Nikon D4 Nikon D700 Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow