Started Feb 21, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
bob elkind
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,808Gear list
Like?
Some reasons why Canon is not doomed
Feb 21, 2012

I cringe to start this thread, and yet I am so sorely tempted. Temptation won.

Some random reasons why Canon is not doomed, and Nikon does not "own" the entire dSLR market.

1. Easiest one first: Brand commitment for the same reason Nikon retained a customer base when Canon's products (with CMOS sensors) were eating Nikon's technology and marketing "lunch": A large investment in Canon infrastructure (lenses, flashes, batteries and chargers, backup bodies, etc.) by Canon's customers.

Now we get to the more salacious points...

2. Just as the Canon 5dII exploited a gap in Nikon's lineup vs. the D300/D700, a Canon equivalent to "D700s with excellent video" would be a market winner against the D400/D800. It would be a better sports/PJ body than the D800, for far less money than the D4. In short, do what Nikon is not doing.

3. Video community will be very reluctant to migrate from Canon to Nikon. One key reason is this: With a Canon body and an appropriate adapter, you can use Canon, Nikon, and many other very fine (and some are inexpensive) lenses. On the other hand, you cannot use Canon lenses on Nikon bodies. Canon does not need to beat (or even match ) Nikon in video quality, Canon just needs to " come close enough ".

Any others? BTW, I am a long-time loyal and committed Nikon customer, so skip the troll accusations. This is primarily a response to several recent threads proclaiming that Canon has irrevocably ceded the dSLR market to Nikon, or that Nikon has driven a fatal stake through the Canon heart (with the D4/D800/D400 announcements).

-- hide signature --

Bob Elkind

Family, mostly sports. Seriously, folks, I'm not that good. If I can do it, you can do it!
photo galleries at http://eteam.zenfolio.com
my relationship with my camera is strictly photonic

bob elkind's gear list:bob elkind's gear list
Nikon D700 Canon EOS 500D Nikon D600 Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D +5 more
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Nikon D300 Nikon D4 Nikon D40 Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow