Started Feb 21, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Catbells
Regular MemberPosts: 106
Like?
AE-L still faulty with replacement K5
Feb 21, 2012

I eventually got Pentax to agree to replace my K5 with a new one which I checked to make sure that the shutter count was at zero & that on 1st switch on, the location, date & time needed to be set - hopefully, this would indicate that I had received a new, not refurbished replacement.

I left the settings at default i.e. Firmware v1.11, AE-L not locked to Focus' AE-L not locked to focus point, Auto EV comp off & set exposure metering to be locked for 30 secs. AE-L was unstable with several instances where the exposure changed over 175 exposures.

I updated the firmware to v1.12 & left the settings at default & found AE-L to stable over 140 exposures.

I set AE-L to be locked to focus point (which according to the User Manual & a Pentax Technician) should still lock the exposure. However, there were several instances over 59 exposures where AE-L failed to work which proved to me that this is an inherent problem with the K5.

I know that many will still say, that this is not the best way to set up locked exposure for composing panoramic shots & I'd be better using Manual Mode where I'd have more control.

I initially thought that this would only be a problem during panoramic sequential shooting BUT it will also happen when used normally. i.e. if a subject is offset in the frame, moving the camera to focus/AE-L on the subject, then re-frame the shot with the subject offset can still cause the AE-L to falter with a corresponding change in exposure - maybe a change of 1 stop isn't that drastic & can be easily compensated for during post processing BUT it shouldn't happen & it didn't on either of my previous Pentax *istDS & K10 cameras.

It's a shame that my enjoyment from using the K5 has been marred by this problem & I would like to think that Pentax will resolve this in a subsequent firmware update, but I'm not that confident!

Nikon 1 V1 Pentax K-5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow