ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
BPB
BPB
Contributing MemberPosts: 625
Like?
Spare A Thought For Those At Risk While We Photograph Them
Feb 21, 2012

If you will permit me, I would like to share the following story with you. It is very much photography centered

Last summer my wife and I spent some time in Central Portugal. Our daughter managed to grab a few days and came over to see us. One hot sunny day we decided to drive into town for lunch. As we were only going for lunch, and being an idiot, I did not pick up my camera bag with my trusty old D300 and a couple of lenses in it. Needless to say the inevitable happened, a great photo opportunity and no camera.

As we sat in the garden amongst the orange trees eating lunch we noticed a very large plume of smoke climbing above the rooftops. So we decided to go and investigate. We headed out into the country towards the distant smoke and eventually found a fairly fierce wildfire that was spreading at high speed driven by strong winds. We managed to stop reasonably close to the fire and get a good viewing position. Now my daughter, being obviously smarter than me, had picked up her camera bag and quite merrily started to take some photos (don't you just hate it when that happens!!!).

Now my daughter carries a humble Nikon D40 with the 18-55 kit lens and a Tamron 70-300mm F/4.5.6 AF lens in her bag. Below are four of the 250 or so photo's that she took, and yes, I do have her permission to post them here.

The reason for my some what "long" post, is not to say that these photos are technically good, or sharper than a chef's best knife, or wonderfully composed. But simply to say that as long as the "moment" is captured and that the "feeling" that is experienced at the time of capture is conveyed to a reasonable degree to any one who views the photo's, then what more can you ask.

Even more importantly I would just like to ask you all to "Spare A Thought" for the people who are at the front line and who risk their lives while we photographers enjoy the rush of grabbing the "moment" usually without exposing ourselves to much risk.

Just for information. All taken hand held, shot in jpeg, and NO post processing and no VR.

Thanks for looking and feel free to comment.

Nikon D300 Nikon D40
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow