Started Feb 21, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Danielvr
Senior MemberPosts: 2,785Gear list
Like?
Two compromised systems
Feb 21, 2012

I don't often start threads and I'm certainly not the first to express this feeling, but I'm very disappointed with Olympus right now, even though they've just released a very exciting new camera, the E-M5, a wonderful tool for the photo enthusiast.

My problem though is that Olympus is now offering two badly compromised systems that both don't work for me. Basically, Fourthirds has great lenses but no good bodies, and Micro Fourthirds has some very nice bodies but no good lenses. And as for the 'one happy system', there's disappointingly little synergy between them.

Yes, the E-5 is a great camera. But it's too big, heavy, expensive and imposing. As such, it betrays the original Fourthirds promise of compact, affordable cameras (along with durable, versatile, capable which the E-5 admittedly is). And yes, there are a few good lenses in the Micro Fourthirds line-up. They're all primes though, and mostly from Panasonic. The large majority of M43 lenses are slow and mediocre, aimed at the not-very-critical consumer masses.

What it boils down to is that Olympus, for now, is not offering anything that really appeals to me and to many other long-time customers who traditionally were their bread and butter: the ambitious photo enthusiast. With the E-M5, they're clearly targetting that same group, but they forget that they already have at least some 100,000 active similar customers who they have essentially abandoned, and who are likely to walk away forever if Oly doesn't come up with a solution for them soon. It's really beyond me why they've let it come to this; most of us are probably happy to spend some $1000 per year on Olympus gear, but it looks like they just don't want it..

Danielvr's gear list:Danielvr's gear list
Olympus E-330 Olympus E-510 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm 1:2.8-4.0 SWD Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD +2 more
Olympus E-5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Art.New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow