OM-D EM-5 Plus What Gear (Lenses, Flashes, etc)?

Started Feb 21, 2012 | Discussions thread
Andy Wilson
Senior MemberPosts: 1,551
Like?
Re: OM-D EM-5 Plus What Gear (Lenses, Flashes, etc)?
In reply to Snapshot7, Feb 21, 2012

I'm always wary about advising others on the kit they should get as our needs and budgets vary a lot.

The one thing I would suggest you consider, which you are already doing, is whether or not to go with a fast prime instead of the 14-42.

In terms of functionality there is a certain amount of redundancy getting the 14-42 (I presume you mean the X version) when you are getting the 12-50 though it's compact size may mean you are thinking of using this around town and the 12-50 when you go into the countryside (matched with the 100-300)? Otherwise I think the extra image quality and low light flexibility (especially with the images of people) that a fast prime brings may complement the 12-50 better.

You'll have to weigh the advantages and disadvantages for what you would like to do yourself. If you go with a prime the next question would be which focal length and that would be an issue of your priorities as you are currently interested in a wide range of photographic imagery. It will also depend on your current budget and your future purchase road map. For example you may decide that people photographs are going to be most important and you currently only envisage adding one prime now and one later. In that case you might consider the Panasonic 20mm f1.7 for environmental portraits, group shots and street and the Olympus 45 f1.8 for isolation portraiture (and some street). Alternatively your long time budgeting may allow you to go for the current 'elite threesome', the Olympus 12 f2, Panasonic/Leica 25 f1.4 and Olympus 45 f1.8.

As I say, I am not going to tell you what to buy only suggest lines of thinking for you to consider. if you havn't already done so you might want to research the lenses a little further through flickr, pbase, Mu-43.com and threads and reviews here.

Hope it works out well

-- hide signature --
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow