Tamron 200-500

Started Feb 16, 2012 | Discussions thread
Gabebalazs
New MemberPosts: 12Gear list
Like?
Re: Tamron 200-500
In reply to Mo50, Feb 20, 2012

I also owned the 200-500 for a few months. Had a chance to purchase a cosmetically like-new copy for cheap. It turned out to be a sub-par performer at first, however, utilizing Tamron's 6-year warranty, I kept sending it to Tamron (3 trips) until it actually became pretty good.

At that time I also owned a Sigma 150-500 OS and Canon's 100-400L. The Tamron was in the middle, between the Canon and the Sigma IQ-wise. My Canon 100-400L was an exceptionally sharp copy though.

The Tamron was the longest actual focal length of those. Of course the Canon was only a 400mm but I was surprised by the significantly higher magnification of the Tamron vs the Sigma.

My copy was pretty good wide open and improved a little stopped down but not dramatically.

Another hidden positive feature of the Tamron vs. the big Sigmas is that it stays f/5.6 up until 450mm while the Sigmas switch to 6.3 somewhere between 200 and 300mm (except the 120-400 which stays at 5.6)

Lens was easy to use, by far the lightest 500mm lens out there. No IS is a somewhat a problem with a lens this long, but a monopod solves that.
AF was slow, not very suitable for anything moving at a more than moderate pace.

For the price I liked the lens (under $500) but like I said I had the Canon 100-400L at the time also, so I eventually traded it (for a 17-40L)

An odd thing about the lens was the very long hood, which was OK (for a lens starting at 200mm) still it made the whole lens look very strange (long but relatively very narrow in the middle)

Hope this helps.

Gabebalazs's gear list:Gabebalazs's gear list
Canon EF-S 10-18mm f/4.5–5.6 IS STM
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow