Started Feb 20, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Douglas Benner
New MemberPosts: 9
Like?
SX40 macro pics - really surprised
Feb 20, 2012

My "specialty" in photography has been macro. I've had some of my stuff published and I've had a few exhibitions in galleries, won some contests, etc. I am not a professional and this is not meant to be a boast, but merely to point out that as an enthusiastic amateur I have studied macro quite a bit. My "serious" work has always been done with a DSLR, macro lens, and tripod. You can see some of this at my flickriver site if you're interested: http://www.flickriver.com/photos/dougbenner/

Anyway, I recently bought the SX40 as a fun and vacation camera. I have been very pleased with the overall results and and was of course blown away by the zoom range (like having a new toy). But I had not seriously considered using it for close up and macro work. Yesterday, for fun, I went out and shot some close up texture photos of dried leaves. Tell you what - I am very very impressed. Hand holding with macro mode at 840mm - never thought results like this would be possible with a $400 camera.

I find that (like all my previous Canon DSLR's) I have to routinely set the exposure compensation to -1 to avoid blown highlights, but that's not an issue because the noise is well controlled and I can easily bring out low key detail with very basic post processing.

Anyway, here are a few of the shots - not intended as great art, just a test. Very little post processing - a tiny amount of sharpening and level adjustment - took maybe 60 seconds per photo.

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow