Shop cameras & lenses ▾
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Dominic G Smith
Regular MemberPosts: 249Gear list
Like?
Ideal Walkabout Combo
Feb 20, 2012

After reading many recent threads on this issue and even considered buying the Nikon 28-300mm VR, I had a bit of a rethink.

On my last holiday I took what I though was a stripped done combo. One camera (D700 without grip,) a 50mm f1.8, a 20mm f2.8 and a 70-300mm zoom plus an SB400. Even then I felt that I ended up having to change lenses more than I wanted to with all the resulting potential problems with dust.

After having bought a D5100 as a replacement for a D2X which I sold, I've had a bit of a rethink. The D5100 is SO light that even paired with the 70-300 mm Nikon zoom (Sans VR,) it weighs very little. The image wuality is also miles better than the D2X (which was not a bad camera.) I've also had a Spider Pro camera belt for a while now that I've seldom used, but would like to try it for real on my next holiday/working vacation.

So next time I will take;

Nikon D700 without grip
Nikon 24-85 mm f3.5/5.6 zoom fitted to the D700
Nikon D5100 without grip
Nikon 70-300mm f3.5/5.6 fitted to the D5100 - giving 105-450mm
SB400 Flash
Nikon 20mm f2.8 (just in case)

I have a Sun Sniper strap fitted to the D700 which means I can carry it over my shoulder with no strain on my neck - SUPERB.

I will use the D5100 with the Spider Pro belt. As I said, its so light that it shouldn't cause a problem on my waist.

The flash can be fitted permamently to the D700 and the 20mm can be carried in a small Lowepro case fitted to the Spider Pro belt to be sued if/when I need it.

That should let me keep my backpack for filters/food/water/rainjacket etc.

Happy to hear from anyone if they think that I'm missing something.

http://www.bridalimage.co.uk
http://www.eventprints.co.uk

Nikon D2X Nikon D5100 Nikon D700
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow