Started Feb 20, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Dominic G Smith
Regular MemberPosts: 229
Like?
Ideal Walkabout Combo
Feb 20, 2012

After reading many recent threads on this issue and even considered buying the Nikon 28-300mm VR, I had a bit of a rethink.

On my last holiday I took what I though was a stripped done combo. One camera (D700 without grip,) a 50mm f1.8, a 20mm f2.8 and a 70-300mm zoom plus an SB400. Even then I felt that I ended up having to change lenses more than I wanted to with all the resulting potential problems with dust.

After having bought a D5100 as a replacement for a D2X which I sold, I've had a bit of a rethink. The D5100 is SO light that even paired with the 70-300 mm Nikon zoom (Sans VR,) it weighs very little. The image wuality is also miles better than the D2X (which was not a bad camera.) I've also had a Spider Pro camera belt for a while now that I've seldom used, but would like to try it for real on my next holiday/working vacation.

So next time I will take;

Nikon D700 without grip
Nikon 24-85 mm f3.5/5.6 zoom fitted to the D700
Nikon D5100 without grip
Nikon 70-300mm f3.5/5.6 fitted to the D5100 - giving 105-450mm
SB400 Flash
Nikon 20mm f2.8 (just in case)

I have a Sun Sniper strap fitted to the D700 which means I can carry it over my shoulder with no strain on my neck - SUPERB.

I will use the D5100 with the Spider Pro belt. As I said, its so light that it shouldn't cause a problem on my waist.

The flash can be fitted permamently to the D700 and the 20mm can be carried in a small Lowepro case fitted to the Spider Pro belt to be sued if/when I need it.

That should let me keep my backpack for filters/food/water/rainjacket etc.

Happy to hear from anyone if they think that I'm missing something.

http://www.bridalimage.co.uk
http://www.eventprints.co.uk

Nikon D2X Nikon D5100 Nikon D700
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow