A journey through pixel count and noise.

Started Feb 19, 2012 | Discussions thread
Peter Nelson
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,890
Like?
I am updating bodies behind the curve
In reply to rhlpetrus, Feb 20, 2012

So I still use my Nikon D1H. Now you say the D1X is good at high ISO. I did not know that. Maybe I'll break down and get one -finally! I heard the D1X has a too strong anti alaise filter and the images were kind off softer. I think you would have mentioned this if you ever saw it. So now I have a renewed for a D1X. I still think the D1H 2.6 mp is enough since I do not publish. So I have to ask myself why? Why get the D1X?

Tony I liked your post, so I hope you do not mind that I will go into my camera experiences a little (no images) just talk.

I use the Kodak SLR/n with older Nikon Ai lenses for it's FF sensor and to allow me to use my lenses at a focal length that I am familiar with and alway's use ISO 160 (base) and for me it's like shooting with a film camera because of that. I usually shoot at 6mp and use the Suny 16 rules (no metering with Ai lenses).

My Canon 300D was used this morning, but I have a heck of a lot of Canon DSLR's. MY 1DsMkII is probably my best camera...but I am happy shooting with any of them.

Lately I have been using the small m4/3 cameras such as my E-P1 and Panasonic G1. Probably because I have small fast Leica glass and I prefere manual focusing. I can put the E-P1 in one pocket and a lens or two in another pocket, in this way I can be "hands free" as I walk about and conduct my personal affairs. But I still have the ability to get a good photo as my E-P1 is acceptable to 1600 and 3200 or even 6400 in a hard spot. The G1 is not as good ISO wise but it has a lot of real photographic controls and it just seems like Panasonic did a lot for photographers to use these controls for getting a good image.

My years old Seiko/Epson R-D1 with a Nikon D100 (?) (Sony) sensor is good and crisp in low light to it's ISO 1600 limit.

I can say that I do not own a DSLR that I do not like, I like them all. Incluuding the R-D1 digital rangefinder and the digital m4/3 cameras. I can get nice photographs from all of them.
-Peter
--
Life as an artist has had some unusual times to say the least.
visit my web site http://www.flickr.com/photos/artist_eyes/
Remember to click on 'All Sizes' for better viewing.
Artist Eyes

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow