G1 X review @ What Digital Camera - No Gold Award

Started Feb 20, 2012 | Discussions thread
gingerbaker
Senior MemberPosts: 1,495Gear list
Like?
Re: G1 X review @ What Digital Camera - No Gold Award
In reply to snapshot09, Feb 20, 2012

snapshot09 wrote:
Not sure why so many of the reviews are highlighting that then.

Funny - but over at Fred Miranda (I think it was) I saw a post by someone who knew their lenses, and they remarked on how the lens in the G1 X was really quite high-tech. Two asymmetric elements (or something) and advanced coatings. Expensive to make, and a definite step up from the lens on the G12.

This helps to explain why the resolution is quite high, and why chromatic aberrations are so low. I daresay that whatever distortions are present will be automatically corrected for when ACR, etc gets updated for the cam.

It seems to me that this camera represents a very careful engineering design. A sensor which is just large enough for quality IQ, but not so large as to mandate a lens which is too big for a compact design. As it is, the lens design sacrificed some speed and focusing prowess in order to deliver high IQ and zoom range. I'll bet, after all the feedback they get, that the G2 X will have a zoom range of 24-70 which might allow for some performance improvements, and would be a great marketing strategy for Canon dslr owners. You heard it here first. I'm here all night.

-- hide signature --
 gingerbaker's gear list:gingerbaker's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 20D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 135mm f/2.0L USM +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow