Started Feb 19, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Turbo 46032
Regular MemberPosts: 324Gear list
Like?
Diffuser & SB400?
Feb 19, 2012

My daughter's architecture school added a D90 class camera to the supply list so almost everyone showed up with a Nikon DSLR of some type or another... A lot of the faculty use Nikons and even offer brief how-to sessions... So we're getting her a D5100 and the kit lenses (for now, an 11-16 or similar later).

My question is this... They have a photo studio with lights, umbrellas, background, etc. and I would think a flash better than the on-board would be useful in there. Would an SB-400 and $10 plastic diffuser be good for fill-in work when photographing models (architectural models obviously, cardboard, wood, etc). to show details? Or should I give her my SB-600 and get an SB-400 for myself? The 600 does a good job for bouncing and such with my D90. We did not have much luck with the lights/umbrellas alone using P&S (way too harsh shadows) tho that was probably lack of know-how more than lack of flash...

Turbo 46032's gear list:Turbo 46032's gear list
Canon PowerShot S90 Nikon D90 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Canon Pixma MX860
Nikon D5100 Nikon D90
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
lolNew
hmmNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow