Started Feb 19, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Francis Carver
Senior MemberPosts: 1,093
Like?
Severe drooping/sagging of X-S1 zoom lens
Feb 19, 2012

Lens sagging at tele setting has been measured at about 5mm off the straight line of lens axis. That is probably before you would add a metal ring UV filter, a variable ND filter, a circular polarizer filter, and a sunshade. By that time, you would probably be sagging a good 8mm at focal lengths over 500mm.

And that is now, when the camera is new. How about a year, two or three years from now? It could be 10, 12mm by then. I just don't see how that would somehow not affect your image quality.

On the Fujifilm micro sites, Fuji goes to great lengths to explain how the 24-624mm X-S1 has been "inspired" by Fujinon's own 22x B4-mount video lens. But ALL of Fuji's video and cine superzooms are INTERNAL ZOOMS -- not low-end but cheap-to-make telescoping front barrel designs.

I wanted to consider the X-S1 against all odds for video because of its amazing 26x focal length range. But after seeing just now all the video clip examples shot with it, the video out of the X-S1 does not look any better than video out of any $150 P&S. Big let-down. Also, seems that when you shoot video, there is tons of jello towards the tele end of the lens, and also you cannot shoot video in EXR modes or using film simulation,

Re. externally zooming lenses.... when you buy an "all-in-one" camera with a fixed lens, if the lens is droopy and sags like an old cow's tits, then you cannot just de-glue the lens and replace it with a new one. You have to toss the whole package. But at $800 a pop, that can quickly become rather expensive.

Anyhow, now that I will no longer be contemplating the X-S1, whichever interchangeable lens camera I end up getting, I want to make sure that the zoom optic I use will be a video/cine zoom lens style internal zoom mechanism design. Sigma makes 3 or 4 internal mechanism zooms, then there is Tamron, or Tokina. The others I know -- Rokinon, Samyang, Vivitar, SLR Magic, Voigtlander, Carl Zeiss, etc. do not make zooms, only primes.

Fujifilm X-S1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow