Started Feb 19, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
yoursh79
New MemberPosts: 15Gear list
Like?
1D vs. 1Ds Mark1's for second 'play' camera
Feb 19, 2012

Long story short, I been shooting with a 60D since it came out and have been very happy with it as a day to day shooter. Recently though, I've been playing with the idea of getting a used second body that has a sensor larger than APS-C. Mainly to experiment with the wider effective field of view and DOF on my expanding lens collection. For example, I would like to shoot wider with my recently acquired 24mm TS-E. Also wouldn't mind having a second used body I wouldn't be as afraid of wearing out on time lapse or long exposure photography or use in less than perfect weather.(for reference, I've found the auto-focus starts to fail on a Rebel at around -25F)

Now the question. I've been looking at getting either a used 1D mark1 or 1Ds mark1. Haven't had the oportunity to shoot with a larger sensor camera outside of playing with a 5D mark2 in store. Curious as to actually how much of a difference there is between a FF sensor and a APS-H. Coming from a APS-C, how much of a difference will I see shooting with a 1.3x magnification vs. FF. Since I am just an advanced hobbiest, price is a factor. From looknig around, a 1D can be had for around half that of a 1Ds. Is the added benefit of FF over APS-H worth that price jump. Also looked at maybe a 5D mark1, but the different form factor of the 1D series looks interesting.

So for those that have shot both, what are your opinions and advice? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

yoursh79's gear list:yoursh79's gear list
Canon EOS-1Ds Canon EOS M Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM +6 more
Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 60D Canon EOS-1D Canon EOS-1D C Canon EOS-1Ds
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow