ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
beulahnw
New MemberPosts: 13Gear list
Like?
Setting Up Off Camera Flash System
Feb 18, 2012

Hello,

I have learned a lot reading here, but it has all been bits and pieces. I have an Alpha A55 and am looking to set up a portable, quick set up flash system. This will be used for product stills indoors and fly tying events on the road. This seems rudimentary but Sony can be tough.

I am looking at getting 2x HVL F43AM, 2x Stands, 2x Stand Adaptors, and I think wireless remote transmitter/receivers, two ExploImaging Rogue Flash benders.

Here is the trick, I don't think there is an option to mount to the Sony to control off camera main and fill flashes. Also, from what I have read the onboard flash needs to be activated to use it wirelessly. So, If I get a transmitter/receiver set up, will that allow me to ditch any pre-flash or flash from the onboard A55 flash?

Sony website even says that the HVL F43AM is not even compatible with the A55 and I believe it is from what I have read? But I am not 100% certain. If it is not, I think I would look at Metz or Nissin due to the massive size, weight and price of the Sony 58.

So, do I get the Sony Hot Shoe Adaptor? Will that allow Rainbow Imaging Soldier Flash Trigger (Sony version) or similar product to work properly and fire the flashes w/o the onboard flash firing? Do I even need the Hot Shoe Adaptor for the A55 Hot Shoe?

A detailed list of stuff that is known to work would be really helpful for me to get to purchasing and taking pictures. I know I'll probably have to set the flash values etc individually on the main and fill flash and I am o.k. with not being able to put a master controller on top of my camera or adjusting off the menu.

Thanks for your patience and any assistance,

Bruce B~

beulahnw's gear list:beulahnw's gear list
Sony SLT-A55 Sony 100mm F2.8 Macro Sony DT 16-50mm F2.8 SSM
Sony SLT-A55
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow