No longer listening to most online critics...

Started Feb 14, 2012 | Discussions thread
T3
T3
Forum ProPosts: 17,751
Like?
what video can do.
In reply to tko, Feb 18, 2012

tko wrote:

Good example of why stills triumph video. What was the point of the video?

The point of the video was to allow people to be "in the audience", listening to and seeing his seminar, without actually being in the audience at the time. Can a photo do that? LOL. The video allows you to see and listen, just like being there in the audience. We have the sense of sight, but we also have another sense called hearing. Video allows you to make use of both.

There's just something about being able to hear an artist talk about his work, his process, his technique, his thoughts, etc. I would LOVE to watch a similar video of Ansel Adams, or Henri Cartier-Bresson, or Richard Avedon, or so many other photographers, speaking about their photos as we see images of their photos on the screen. It's like listening to the directors's or actor's commentary on a movie's DVD or Blu-Ray disk. That is what video can do, and how it can triumph over the image alone.

Frankly, I enjoyed watching the Ratcliff video. It was like sitting in on someone's lecture. Yeah, it's nice to just look at their photos. But being able to listen to the artist talk simply adds an added dimension. I love attending seminars and lectures given by notable photographers. And the next best thing is to watch a video of the lecture if I can't attend.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow