Olympus, you need to tell us clearly

Started Feb 17, 2012 | Discussions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
fraserhadden
Regular MemberPosts: 291
Like?
Surely the picture has changed re 4/3. Time to relaunch?
In reply to BruceB609, Feb 17, 2012

Why did it fail originally? I propose:

(a) relatively poor high ISO performance, which was referenced in every review and accorded disproportionate weighting in the overall comparative rating of the E-series cameras vs cost-equivalent Nikons and Canons;

(b) relatively high bulk for a system originally supposed to be smaller than its larger-sensored competitors.

It now looks as though (a) has been overcome and that adopting a mirrorless approach in an E-series body overcomes (b).

On this basis, is this not the time to relaunch 4/3 rather than abandon it? It would be relaunched into a marketplace where Canon and Nikon adopters have laboured with their bulky gear for long enough now to have wearied of it and be seeking a change.

The lenses are already designed, with just an outstanding need for perhaps a 100mm macro and a couple of long telephotos of modest aperture - 300mm f4 and 400mm f5.6, say.

I would love to see a 4/3 relaunch, so I am maybe biased in my interpretation of the new market conditions. What do you guys 'n' gals think?

Fraser

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
eaa
eaa
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow