Help with M9

Started Feb 17, 2012 | Discussions thread
questionlp
Regular MemberPosts: 145Gear list
Like?
Re: Help with M9
In reply to RadimV, Feb 17, 2012

RadimV wrote:

In last a few years I've used Nikon D700. Great IQ. But now I am considering switching to M9 because on my back I have D700, 24-70/2.8, 80-200/2.8. It's so heavy.
I've asked friend's of mine who work in a camera shop what they thing about it.
I photograph mostly landscape, portrait, my family, children.

They told me that Leica M9 is made to be use primarily in low aperture. They said to me there are problems to take a sharp picture of children. I don't want to shot sports or something like that. I know that M9 requires different attitude. But what I can't do with M9 compared to D700? I am really confused.
Thank for comment. Radim

I'm also a Nikon guy (D300, various fast primes and 70-200/2.8) and recently picked up an M9 with a Summicron-M 50mm f/2.

I'm not sure about the "there are problems to take a sharp picture of children" statement; though, it can be the case where the children are zooming around all over the place. It can be done, but you'll have to keep in mind that you'll either want to use the zone focusing technique.

The M9 (and any other Leica) can be used wide open or stopped all the way down. It all depends on the composition, amount of light, required amount of DOF, etc.

As far as what can't you do with the M9 that you can with the D700? The M9 has a lower ISO ceiling compared to the D700 (a lot of it has to do with the differences in CCD vs CMOS sensors, etc). I've been able to get decent pictures at 1600 ISO and some PP with LR3.

The other one that I alluded to was focusing. D700 has auto focus, M9 is manual. That hasn't been a real problem for me as I have grown to love the way that RF tell you whether or you are in focus or not (square in the middle of the VF/frame). I can usually nail the focus a wee bit better on the M9 than on my D300 and 24mm f/2 AIs. It'll take time and practice, and I'm nowhere near perfect.

Keep in mind that I will not be selling off all of my Nikon gear just because I now have an M9. I'm keeping my D300 for macro, telephoto, architectural shots where tilt/shift lens is a must, and as a fun toy when combined with my Lensbaby lenses and optics. I will be selling off my 50/1.4G, 85/1.8D and possibly another lens or two as they won't be of much use anymore

Hope that helps. Again, I'm still a newbie with it comes to the Leica side of things.

Cheers!

questionlp's gear list:questionlp's gear list
Sony RX100 Nikon D300 Leica M9 Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G +14 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow